Thursday, December 15, 2005

For The Little Ones Of This World

Anou from Project Why wrote back to me today. We have been in touch quite regularly over the past few months. And the more I read about the kids and the work she is doing, the more beloved the project is to me. Today I read about Nanhe. Nanhe means "little one" in Hindi. A nickname commonly used for the youngest in the family. As Anou said the dear child doesn't even have a real name. He is stuck with a nickname and a life that promises nothing except suffering.

Nanhe is a little boy with multiple disabilities, father died early, mom manages him and 2 other diasbled siblings. He probably will not have a happy life since he is afflicted with so many problems. But to look at him smile in that photo...It is difficult to write about it without tearing up. I read about him and think about the millions of other kids who are in such terrible circumstances, poverty, hunger, abuse, things that no child should ever have to face.

And then I think about the vacation that my family is planning.. 50,000 rupees for a 5 day vacation. It seems so frivolous. When there is so much need in this world, it just seems like an incredible amount of money to spend on a holiday. I know I cannot help every kid in this world, or stop living or stop spending money on clothes etc. I am practical in that sense. At the same time, reading my brother's email about beaches and sunshine and fancy hotels and then reading about Nanhe... there is really no comparison.

I don't know why this is bothering me so much, but today is one of the days when I question what I have accomplished until now. Apart from academics, what do I have to show? It is one of those days when I feel like dropping everything and moving to India. To do something that makes sense in my life. Something that would make this a better place for the Nanhes of this world.

1 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 at 5:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I read your post and it filled my heart with hope...
I know one cannot reach out every child but just change one life and the world looks different...nanhe is a lesson in hope, a child who wants to live life to its last breath and we will see he does..
it is not nanhe that saddens me.. it is those who look away and do not part with a little of what they have to see another fellow being smile..
but what fills me with hope is that as long as there is one person like you hen many lives will change
bless you and keep in touch
anou

 

Post a Comment

<< Home